Monday, October 31, 2011

A God like us

As I was preparing for my Wednesday night class last week, I googled "pics of the christian God". This is one of the more common images that appear.



I understand that we have this desire to know what God the Father looks like. It is natural to wonder that. It is how our minds work. We want a face to go with a name. We aren't the first! Remember what Thomas said? "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Ever since Adam was banned from the Garden, I'm certain that most, if not all, have wondered what God looks like.

This is a picture on an atheist's website. (It seems a little strange for an atheist to have a picture of God on his website!)


I think this just goes to show that everyone has their own view of what God looks like. The bad part about most people's view is that they just simply aren't biblical.

There are only a few descriptions of God the Father in the New Testament. Here are the ones that come to my mind. 1) Colossians 1:15 "[Jesus] is the image of the invisible God......"  2) Hebrews 11:27 "..........for he endured, as seeing Him who is unseen."  3) John 4:24 "God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."  4) 1 Timothy 1:17 "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever." I'm sure there are others. Those are just some that come to mind right off.

It seems clear to me that the Bible describes God as being invisible, unlike us. When we draw a picture of God, we draw a picture of a manlike being. Genesis 1:26 reveals God as saying, "Let Us make man in Our image and in Our likeness." He is not in our image, we are in His. I know its hard to think about God the Father without a body, but that is what the Bible teaches. We err when we create a God like us.

No comments:

Post a Comment